Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Internet Privacy: On & Offline

    Privacy is a big thing for me. I'd like to keep my information to myself and those I trust. I get tired of receiving spam call after spam call whenever my school asks for my information, be it my email, phone number, or anything else, and after listening to the Ted Talks in class, I found out it can be much worse than just spam calls or emails. I always had the impression that the government knew almost everything, but after realizing that not only can they get access to it but people in other countries get that information? that was a bit surprising. Social media companies selling the information of millions of people just sounds illegal, but due to many loop holes in their ToS and being a private company, they can practically get away with whatever they want. And with the government using their power to, in a way, threaten these companies, they can just fork it over to the government officials just because they gave a veiled threat.









You have companies like twitter that hide what the are doing with the whole twitter files investigation going on right now. How they censor certain people because the government wants them to, or because they just don't like what you said.









You also have companies like Instagram, where it feels like they are always advertising something you just talked about with your mom or friends over the phone. It also feels like once a month they send me a message asking if i tried to sign in from Brazil or Russia and as confirmation, they send me an email. so there is clearly a leak somewhere about information.

No comments:

Post a Comment